Thursday 15 April 2010

And it's just the sort of thing that we don't talk about anymore...

Bonsoir Chums,

What don't you talk about?
I'm willing to bet that the subjects you don't talk about, are in fact at the forefront of your mind. It's always the topics that you have to surpress that are the ones that really matter to you, that really bug you. I mention this because recently, I've had two very frank conversations, one with my best friend who I've known for years, and the other with some one I have only just started to get to know. In both cases, we admitted something to each other that wasn't exactly a secret you would have to take to the grave, but not something we were particulary open about. If this sounds mysterious and coy, you're going to be disappointed. The shocking admissions were (baited breath and drum roll please)...that we had blogs and that we had read American Psycho. Yeah. Dynamite I know.
Have you read American Psycho? It's a good book, but...it's horribly twisted. I mean, it is sick. It has graphic scenes in it that I don't want to even briefly describe. There is a underlying political message throughout the book, commenting on the decay of the American dream, but basically it is a nasty book. I watched the film and had nightmares about Christian Bale breaking into my Uni halls and killing me. It's not exactly the kind of book you would want someone reading over your shoulder on the train, you wouldn't really want to be associated with it. And there's the rub. If it's such a repllent book, why on earth am I reading it? Why did I even buy it? I don't have a straight forward answer to that, but please don't close down your browsers thinking you've stumbled on that kind of blog, I'm not a creepy psychopath myself...I just read about them. Oh dear. It sounds even worse when you try to justify it.
However, as Bloc Party once said "We must talk about our problems, We are in a state of flux". When my new Uni friend casually mentioned Bret Easton Ellis, I suddenly wasn't alone. Here was another normal person talking rationally about American Psycho! It's ok! It wasn't just me! She was exactly the same, she wasn't singing the books praises from a mountain top, but we discussed it, clarified that it was utterly and completely disturbing, and had a good old geeky English student analysis of it. Once things are out in the open, they aren't as scary or as bad anymore.
As for admitting to the general public that I write a blog, well, I'm not quite there yet. But I have a partner in crime, so things are looking up.
Hopefully, if I've done this right, below should be the song that the title of this post is taken from. It's an absolute cracker by the Mystery Jets called Veiled in Grey, so if the link doesn't work, Spotify or Youtube, it will make you want to skip through a meadow and pick flowers.


Also,

Flux by Bloc Party. This one will make you want to go to Rock City and get sweaty.
With love and squalor, K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment